Sunday, September 8, 2013

Punctuation.?!

Hello Everyone!
This week we will be working on "Good Readers Notice Punctuation Marks."  In first grade we work on fluency through understanding punctuation marks.  What happens to your voice when seeing a period, question mark, or exclamation point? We call these three marks stop signs and we emphasize the different voices.  Using these marks helps us make our way to true fluency and understanding of what the author has written.  Here are a couple of little posters and manipulatives I think I am going to use to help my kids understand the importance of noticing punctuation marks.


Set includes a mini poster for each of the stop sign punctuation marks.
 
 
 













I'm making Punctuation Paddles for each kiddo to use while reading. Holding up the paddle with the correct punctuation mark after certain sentences will help them be more aware of the importance of noticing them. Authors message and fluency will be more clear.
For your free printables including icons to make punctuation paddles, click HERE!! :)

Is this something you can use? Please let me know! :)
Until then, have a great rest of the weekend!! Thanks for stopping by!!
Joyfully!
Nancy

10 comments:

  1. I love it! I have downloaded this and this will be perfect to introduce for our punctuation unit this week! Couldn't have been better timing - thank you!

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Nancy but we call a 'period' a 'full stop' in Australia otherwise I would definitely use these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I've been looking for. You are so awesome giving all your wonderful and useful ideas for free. Us "poor" teachers are so thankful!!! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is great!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be wonderful to practice what goes at the end of a sentence. It will be very engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much. These are really cute and they will be great reminders for the children. June 22, 2014

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, I love it so much that the greedy gnome in me wants more !

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!