Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sentence Surgeon

Hello Everyone!
Welcome back!  Today we spent a lot of time understanding that using synonyms and antonyms can build our vocabulary and make our writing better.  We decided that what better way to fix up a sentence, than to take it to the doctor,  the "Sentence Surgeon!"  Earlier this year we did an activity where we performed surgery on words to make contractions.  Knowing the kids had a ball with that, I knew they would love cutting words out of sentences and replacing them with others.  Each kiddo (doctor) was given a sentence (patient) and the surgical tools (scissors, tweezers, bandaids, gloves, mask, and a doctor coat (complete with name tag) to cut out one of the words.  They had to choose whether they wanted to replace that word with an antonym or a synonym.  Surgeries were successful! Phew!!










Showing off our surgical skills

I'm a Sentence Surgeon Printables? Click here.

Or click here! :)



Oh! And by the way, most kids are now saying synonym and not cinnamon! :)

Thanks for stopping by!!  Take another peek into our window sometime!!
Until then, have a nice, good, spectacular day!!:)
Joyfully!
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    I just came across your blog. Love your ideas. I'm a new follower. I just did contraction surgery at the end of the year and the kids loved it. I can't wait to try sentence surgery.
    Tammy
    Primaryparadise.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring site! Have you considered posting to http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I am going to tweak it a little for what we are currently doing but I love this idea. Where did you get all those lab coats. Adorable! My husbands mother is a dentist so I am set on masks and gloves.
    -Lauren
    www.weeklyhive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to have children learn while joining pleasure and duty ! I just love your great work, thanks for sharing it !

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!