Friday, February 17, 2012

solid figures

Hello Everyone!
I wanted to share a quick math activity we did the other day.  We are working on plane and solid figures. When working with solid figures, spheres, cubes, cones, cylinders, rectangular prisms, and pyramids, we were learning about the sides or faces and vertices (corners).  I had some extra heart shaped marshmallows left from Valentines and decides to have the kids construct a pyramid so they could actually manipulate the vertices. Each kiddo got eight toothpicks, 4 small hearts and one large one.  We created the square base of the pyramid first, discovering four vertices. Then we added toothpicks to bring together to form the top vertex. Any time I can add that spontaneous hands on element to help kids "get it," I'm there!!!  Sometimes the unplanned lessons are the most successful!!




I had as much fun with this little project as the kids!!  I hope they got home ok!!  I have a feeling some of them were eaten on the way home!! :)
Stop by again for some more spontaneous learning!!!
Joyfully!
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!